The following are highlights from Richland County Government in April:
- Richland County Community Development unveiled a new affordable housing duplex that two local families will call home. The affordable housing home, located on Julius Dixon Lane in the Ridgewood community, is a product of the joint efforts of Richland County Community Development, the Benedict-Allen Community Development Corporation, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Ridgewood community.
- The Government Customer Service Community of Practice (Cgov) – a national organization of customer service experts – named Richland County Development Services the winner of the annual Teamwork Excellence Award and has nominated it as a finalist for the Overall Excellence Award. Cgov will announce the Overall Excellence Award winner in May.
- Richland County’s Jim Hamilton-L.B. Owens Airport celebrated its 85th anniversary April 24-25 with a series of activities, including a special “blessing of the fleet” event that was free and open to the public. The airport was first dedicated as Columbia Municipal Airport on April 24, 1930.
- Richland County Building Department personnel participated in “A Brush with Kindness” day of community service by painting the porches of four local Habitat for Humanity homes and planting flowers and shrubs.
- Richland County's Fleet Management Division has been recognized once again as one of the “100 Best Fleets in the Americas.” Richland County was recognized for meeting certain successful fleet standards and criteria, including accountability, use of technology, collaboration, competitive pricing, staff development, quick repair turnaround and more.