Richland County will hold several mask giveaways in the next few weeks as part of continuing efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The free events will take place on Fridays in various locations in north Richland County. Face coverings will be distributed first-come, first-serve at each event.
“Wearing masks plays a critical role in slowing the spread of COVID-19 in our community,” said County Councilman Jim Manning, District 8. “Richland County and Council are providing several opportunities to make sure our residents have access to those masks and information that can help them stay safe and healthy.”
Five upcoming giveaways will be from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on the following dates:
- Oct. 9 at Friarsgate Park, 1712 Chadford Road, Irmo
- Oct. 16 at Brookland Baptist Church Northeast, 1203 Summit Parkway, Columbia
- Oct. 23 at Richland Library Ballentine, 1200 Dutch Fork Road, Irmo
- Oct. 30 at Richland Library Sandhills, 763 Fashion Drive, Columbia
- Nov. 6 at Decker Center, 1945 Decker Blvd., Columbia
Other giveaways are also scheduled:
- 1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 6 at Richland County Sheriff's Department Substation, 2615 Lower Richland Blvd., Hopkins
- 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Nov. 20 at Temple of Faith Bible Way Church, 2850 Congaree Road, Gadsden
- 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 20 at Crossroads Community Center, 2750 McCords Ferry Road, Eastover
- 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Dec. 4 at Mt. Moriah Baptist Church, 1000 Old Bluff Road, Hopkins
- 10 a.m.-11 a.m. Dec. 11 at Richland County Sheriff's Department Substation, 2615 Lower Richland Blvd., Hopkins
The events are part of a larger effort to help residents follow Richland County’s mask requirement, which requires most people older than 10 to wear face coverings in public. The County recently acquired and packaged about 67,000 disposable masks for distribution.
Two of the mask giveaways are scheduled for areas represented by Councilman Bill Malinowski, District 1.
"While I believe wearing masks should not be mandated by the government, I support the individual choices people make,” Malinowski said.
For more information on the mask ordinance and upcoming mask distribution events in Richland County, visit www.richlandcountysc.gov/facemasks.