Registering to Vote
South Carolina law requires you to register to vote at least 30 days before to the election. To be eligible to register to vote in Richland County, SC you MUST:
- be a United States citizen and at least eighteen years old on or before the next election
- be a resident of Richland County
- not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
- not be confined in any public prison because you have been convicted of a crime
- have a CURRENT state or federal photo ID (these are the current forms of photo ID that are acceptable.)
- If you have ever been convicted of a felony, you must have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.
There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time.
Students may register to vote where they reside while attending college. All college students who live on campus must register at the physical address of their dormitory but can use their P.O. Box as their mailing address.
There are two ways to register to vote: online voter registration or using a paper application. You can only register to vote online if you have a valid South Carolina Driver's License AND your physical address is current with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Please complete all sections of the voter registration form, including your full social security number, your gender, and your race.
You can return the form by mail to P.O. Box 192 Columbia, SC 29202.
Check My Voter Registration Information
Note: When checking your voter registration information, you must provide your name, county and date of birth as it appears on your voter registration card in order to view your information.
Check my Voter Registration
Update My Voter Registration Information
If you have a S.C. Driver's License or DMV ID card, you can update your address using the online voter registration application. If you haven't updated your DMV address, you must do that first:
- Update your address with DMV
- Update your voter registration address
If your voter registration information has changed (name, address, etc.), and you still live within Richland County, you may update your voter registration information using this form. If you have moved to Richland County from a new county, you will need to re-register.
Here is a list of other helpful links:
Get My Sample Ballot
Find My Polling Place
Get My Absentee Application PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to get your Absentee Ballot Application online, you MUST download AND print the form. If you do not complete these steps, you WILL NOT receive an Absentee Ballot Application. The Application has to be sent to the Voter Registration & Elections Office by U.S. Mail, Email (RCElectionsInfo@richlandcountysc.gov ), Fax (803) 576-2249 or you may hand deliver it to 2020 Hampton St. Columbia, SC 29204.
Check My Absentee Ballot
Check My Provisional Ballot