: The Conservation Intern will assist the Richland Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) Education Coordinator in the planning and implementation of conservation programs for agricultural producers, natural resource professionals, local food system organizers, preK-12 students, teachers, and/or the general public. Topics may include, but are not limited to, watersheds and water quality, soil health, agricultural conservation practices and sustainable agriculture, local food systems, forestry, wildlife, and preK-12 environmental education. Throughout the internship, the Intern will learn about the history and operations of federal, state, and local conservation agencies and organizations; local political processes affecting conservation efforts; and current priorities for conservation in the SC midlands.
Primary tasks can be tailored to students’ interests and skills, but may include:
• Adapting and presenting lessons for preK-12 students, teachers, and the general public
• Planning and implementing Arbor Day and/or Stewardship Topic awareness campaigns
• Coordinating and providing logistical support for conservation workshops and events
• Promoting the mission and programs of the Richland SWCD at community gatherings
• Developing press releases, website content, flyers, and other informational materials
• Documenting programs through photos, videos, and/or newsletter articles
• Participating in relevant trainings and professional development opportunities
: Interest in conservation, natural resources, and/or environmental education; excellent communication skills; background in environmental science, natural resources management, education, public relations, graphic design, project management, and/or related fields; experience with preK-12 students preferred
10 hours/week (average)
Summer: May 15-August 15, 2017
Fall: August 15-December 15, 2017
: $11/hour. Pre-approved travel will be compensated at the government rate of $0.535/mile.
: Chanda Cooper, firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 576-2084
How to Apply
: Submit a cover letter and resume to Chanda Cooper, Education Program Coordinator, at email@example.com by February 24, 2017. Please indicate whether you are interested in being considered for the Summer Internship, Fall Internship, or both.
# # #
Conservation Districts are political subdivisions of state government under the local direction of five-member Boards of Commissioners. The Richland Soil and Water Conservation District promotes the wise use of natural resources for the benefit of the citizens of Richland County.
Richland Soil and Water Conservation District
2020 Hampton Street, Room 3063A
Columbia, SC 29204
Phone (803) 576-2080
Fax (803) 576-2088