To Vote in South Carolina, You Must:
• be a citizen of the United States and South Carolina
• be a resident in the County and voting precinct you are to vote in
• be at least 18 years of age as of the next election
• not be under any court order declaring you mentally incompetent
• not serving a term of imprisonment resulting from conviction of a crime
• not have been convicted of a felony or offense against election laws
There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time. You must be registered at least 30 days prior to any election in order to vote in that election.
Online Voter Registration
Online voter registration is available through the South Carolina State Election Commission. To complete voter registration online, you’ll need a valid driver's license or identification card issued by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles.
You can also register to vote by completing the South Carolina Voter Registration application and returning it to the address below. Registration by mail must be postmarked at least 30 days prior to a particular election to be eligible.
Richland County Board of Elections and Voter Registration
P.O. Box 192
Columbia SC 29202