2018 National Community Planning Month - Richland County Spirit Week
National Community Planning Month has been celebrated each October since 2006 as a way to highlight the role of planner planners and the importance of Planning in our communities. Planning can be summarized as guiding the physical development of communities, and the interaction of that development with the social, economic and environmental well-being of those communities. While many are unaware of the significant role of Planning, the profession has a range of impacts from where we live to how we commute, thus profoundly impacting our quality of life.
Planning month seeks to raise the visibility of the Planning profession and showcase the positive impact it has on our communities. Planning month is a way for citizens to learn more about local Planning initiatives, meet their planners and attend Planning related meetings and events that will help directly shape the communities in which they live.
Richland County’s Planning and Development Services Division will celebrate Community Planning Month by hosting various activities, events and trainings throughout October. The celebration will begin with the reading of a Proclamation at the October 2nd County Council meeting and culminate with Spirit Week October 22nd through 26th.
Connections Make Community is the theme for this year’s Spirit Week highlighting the importance of relationships, linkages and networks in supporting sustainable, engaged communities.
- Neighborhood Toolkit
- 4-week course on moving through the basics of establishing a neighborhood-scale plan from association bylaws, mission, vision, goals and objectives and projects.
- Thursdays, October 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th, 2018 from 6:00pm-7:30pm
- 4th Floor Conference Room, 2020 Hampton St, Columbia, SC 29204
- Register here as slots are limited to the first 30 who register | Register by phone by calling 803-576-1340
- Habitat for Humanity Neighborhood Revitalization Project
- Hands-on service-based project with Habitat for Humanity where residents will learn about H4H’s framework for holistic neighborhood revitalization.
- Monday, October 22nd, 2018 from 10:00am-2:00pm
- Register here as slots are limited to the first 20 who register | Register by phone by calling 803-576-1340
- 100 Plates: Conversation. Collaboration. Change.
- Spirit Week’s premier event featuring 100 things residents love about Richland County, 100 ideas shared via conversation, 100 opportunities for collaboration and 100 voices united for community change.
- Friday, October 26th, 2018 from 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Columbia Place Mall, Sears Parking Lot, 7201 Two Notch Rd, Columbia, SC 29223
- Register here as seats are limited to the first 100 who register | Register by phone by calling 803-576-1379
Registration is on a first come, first served basis so you do not want to miss out on these opportunities. All Spirit Week events are free.
For more information or questions about Spirit Weeks events, please email the Neighborhood Improvement Program at NIP@richlandcountysc.gov or call 803-576-1379 or 803-576-1340.
For a calendar of these events and others please click here.
To download the Spirit Week flyer please click here.