2019 National Community Planning Month - Richland County Spirit Week
National Community Planning Month has been celebrated each October since 2006 as a way to highlight the role of planner planners and the importance of Planning in our communities. Planning can be summarized as guiding the physical development of communities, and the interaction of that development with the social, economic and environmental well-being of those communities. While many are unaware of the significant role of Planning, the profession has a range of impacts from where we live to how we commute, thus profoundly impacting our quality of life.
Planning month seeks to raise the visibility of the Planning profession and showcase the positive impact it has on our communities. Planning month is a way for citizens to learn more about local Planning initiatives, meet their planners and attend Planning related meetings and events that will help directly shape the communities in which they live.
Planning for Infrastructure that Benefits All is the theme for this year's National Community Planning Month which highlights how well-planned infrastructure projects (including roadways, transportation systems, housing, parks, and even broadband networks) strengthen communities, boost the economy, expand opportunity, and promote equitable development.
Richland County’s Planning and Development Services Division will celebrate Community Planning Month by hosting and participating in events focusing on the various community planning initiatives and services while highlighting planning efforts throughout Richland County. Community Planning Month will begin with the reading of a Proclamation by County Council at their October 15th County Council meeting and culminate with Spirit Week October 22nd through 26th.
Transportation and Community Planning Open House
- County Departments and guest speakers will present information about the COMET and other community planning projects and initiatives across Richland County.
- Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 from 5:30pm-7:00pm
- County Council Chambers, 2020 Hampton St, Columbia, SC 29204
- This event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be provided.
Community Planning & Development Expo
- The Community Planning & Development Department will be sharing information about various divisions, programs, and offices related to past, current, and upcoming efforts within the Department at this expo style event.
- Thursday, October 24th, 2019 from 5:30pm-7:00pm
- County Council Chambers and 3rd Floor Atrium, 2020 Hampton St, Columbia, SC 29204
- This event is free and open to the public. Food will be provided for attendees.
Habitat for Humanity Community Service Project
- Planning and Development Services is partnering with the local Central South Carolina Habitat for Humanity for a hands-on service-based housing project in a neighboring community.
- Friday, October 25th, 2019.
- Registration is limited | Register by phone by calling 803-576-2194 or via email to NIP@richlandcountysc.gov
- Location and time details will be provided to registrants prior to the event post-registration.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis so you do not want to miss out on these opportunities. All Spirit Week events are free.
For more information or questions about Spirit Weeks events, please email the Neighborhood Improvement Program at NIP@richlandcountysc.gov or call 803-576-2190.
To download the Spirit Week flyer please click here.