Richland County residents can take active roles with local government by applying to serve on one of several boards, committees and commissions.
“We value the input, consideration, recommendations and time and energy our board and committee members bring to the table,” said Richland County Council Chair Joyce Dickerson, District 2. “Serving on one of these bodies is a fantastic way to be a representative of your community and use your respective field of experience in a public forum.”
Richland County Council is accepting applications through 5 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 22 for the following vacancies:
- Accommodations Tax – Five vacancies (one applicant must have a background in cultural arts; three applicants must have a background in the hospitality industry; one is an at-large seat)
- Hospitality Tax – Two vacancies (applicants have a background in the restaurant industry)
- Internal Audit Committee – One vacancy (applicant must be a certified public accountant)
- Business Service Center Appeals Board – One vacancy (applicant must be an attorney)
- Board of Assessment Appeals – Two vacancies
- Board of Zoning Appeals – Three vacancies
- Central Midlands Council of Governments – Three vacancies
- Building Codes Board of Appeals – Two vacancies (one applicant must have a background in architecture; one with a background as a contractor)
- Procurement Review Panel – Two vacancies (one applicant must have a background in public procurement; one applicant must be from the consumer industry)
- Airport Commission – One vacancy
- Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority – One vacancy
- Transportation Penny Advisory Committee – Two vacancies
- Richland Memorial Hospital Board – One vacancy
- Lexington/Richland Alcohol & Drug Abuse Council – One vacancy
Those interested in applying can download the application form online at rcgov.us under the “Government” tab. Submit completed applications by email (email@example.com), fax (803-576-2136) or postal mail (Richland County Clerk of Council, Richland County Administration Building, 2020 Hampton St., Columbia, SC 29204).
Residents are strongly encouraged to visit rcgov.us to learn more about the board, commission or committee they are interested in and to speak with their Council representative. For more information, contact the Clerk of Council Office at 803-576-2060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.